Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Journal Entry - August 6, 2012

We began this trip 10 days ago and in many ways it seems like only days ago...

Right now I'm sitting at an overlook in Yellowstone National Park.  I just looked up from my journal and saw a falcon swooping down into the Firehole River to catch a fish - amazing!  Along the banks of the river are bubbling cauldrons of turquoise blue water, spilling burnt orange into the river, as steam blows across.  To my right is the Great Prismatic Spring, glowing blue and orange on the horizon and steam billowing in the wind.  I have been fascinated with Yellowstone for a while and always wanted to visit.  Now that I am here I am amazed, all I can say is no matter how many National Geographic specials or documentaries you see - it doesn't do this place justice.  This place is truly majestic.

I feel so lucky to be here, not only in Yellowstone, but in this place with this lifetime opportunity before me.  Since leaving Houston we have visited two of the national parks in the United States that I have wanted to see most.  Tomorrow we are heading to the 3rd.  The only two parks on my list to visit after this trip are Yosemite and the Grand Canyon, but I'll get to them eventually.  We live in a beautiful country!!


No comments:

Post a Comment